Thursday, May 28, 2009

Memorial Day

Today was busy and fun! (helps make up for yesterday!)
We went to the Diamond Backs game that started at 12:30pm
BOB (as it will always be called by our family, Chase Field just doesn't roll off the tounge as sweetly as BOB) was celebrating our service men and women today. The Blue Star Moms were selling tickets for only $10 for soldiers and their families. We were able to send tons and tons of families to this game for free with all the donations we received from our community.

Anyone who knows my family, knows that I have raised my kids to thank any service member or veteran for their service to our country. We were able to thanks toms of them and their families at the game, it was great! And of course gave out lots of Mom hugs too!

Here's Savannah, James, Jamie and Robbie having fun. They saw me with the camera and looked and smiled...I've trained them well! LOL


I wanted a picture of them watching the game, so I told them to look that direction, so silly James had to make a "wow!" face!!
The D-backs ended up loosing in the 3rd inning of overtime after being ahead by 6 runs earlier in the game, but it was a great game anyway!

At 5:00 pm I had a Blue Star Mom fund raising event to go to. Mrs. Cindy McCain is also a member of our Blue Star Mom group, and with her status was able to get the Brothers at War movie premier here. It was a fund raising event and tickets went from $100 to $5,000, benefiting our "Angel Wings" program. That's a program that will reimburse Arizona soldiers, who are stationed over seas, up to $500 for their airline tickets to come home to visit their families. Those stationed over seas don't always get the advanced notice to get discounted tickets and their air fare is much more expensive. It's a great program! If you know any Arizona soldier that can benefit from this, email me and I can give you all the information!

Lots and lots of soldiers were able to attend free of charge. It was so humbling to be surrounded by all of them and hear their stories, we are so lucky to live in the land of the free, BECAUSE of the brave!Senator John McCain was at the event also. It was neat to get a chance to talk to him and get this picture. He mingled with the soldiers a lot and was able to talk to most of them. It was neat to be able to be in his company with all that his family does for our soldiers!


Actor Gary Sinise was also there, he was the Executive Producer of this documentory. He has a history of helping the American Soldiers! He was very patient with all the people wanting pictures and talking to him. He hugged lots of soldiers and Blue Star Moms, thanking them for their service to our country and us Moms for the things we do to support our soldiers.
Just before the movie started I got a call from Yvonne! It was so great to hear her voice! She's been doing lots of training these past few weeks so calls home have been far and few inbetween. She sounds good and can't wait to see her when she comes home on June 20th and 21st. Unfortunantly she only gets a couple days with us, but we'll take anything we can!!

At the end of the movie, the Blue Star Moms got together and had a group picture. Some weren't able to make the event and some had to leave before the picture was taken, but these are the wonderful Moms who have helped me learn the military lingo so my beautiful daughter doesn't have to constantly remind me...poor girl!

3 comments:

Becky said...

OMAGOSH! You are IN girlfriend! Mingling with the McCains?!!! Wow! Oh ps... I swear I saw Nie Nie chick at the Super Target this morning! Feeling blessed today for sure!

3in3mom said...

WOw, how wonderful to see all the neat things you are doing. . . I'll be here June 20 and 21st if you want a few pics of you guys--but I know your time is limited.

Luv ya, C

BrandiNocole said...

I love it!! Looks like you had a Fabulous (yet slightly crazy-busy) day.